The maintenance of metal structures is performed by complying to the monitoring schedule of the time course supplied by the designer in the technical project. For a long-lasting course of the metal structure from the point of view of its exploitation and safety, they have to be periodically checked or whenever needed. In the checking process of the metal structure, there will be some general objectives to be described which need to be monitored during this stage:
- The general condition of the building will be checked .
- The resistance elements will be inspected as a result of exceptional strains inferred by earthquakes, explosions/blasts or other natural disasters.
In the above/mentioned general objectives, special attention will be paid to the occurrence of some anomalies such as:
– the battering of structural elements; the potential evolution of such declivities and the occurrence conditions(shocks, earthquakes, etc.) will be described; these declivities will be correlated with possible subsidence of the building foundations ;
– the emergence of corrosion signs in the fittings of reinforced concrete (rust stains, „stripping” fittings, delaminating or ejections of the covering concrete), mainly in the dowel fixing areas of the erected structure;
– the occurrence of some exaggerated flexures, vertically or horizontally, as a result of normal exploitation or of some current climactic or technological strains.
Building maintenance is essential to a quality and long-lasting structure, as well as productive. As any breaks in activity may mean productivity losses up to the loss of contracted works due to delays in production.
In case of some flaws, these will be notified to the staff and experts in charge on the client’s part. Then, necessary measures of tackling with the problems will be taken, and if the designer considers the performing of some intervention executions as imperative, they will be carried out only based on a project, according to L10/1995.